||About Us: ADA Compliance Consultant
Meet Phil Kaplan
Phil Kaplan has specialized in disability access and ADA compliance since 1990. His focus has been understanding and interpreting for others both the Americans with Disabilities Act Access Guidelines and California Title 24 Disability Access Regulations.
He has worked for the City of Palm Springs, California as the ADA Coordinator since 1992 as a member of the Building Department team. As such, he provided disability access plan check service, on site inspections, guidance to the Planning and Public Works Departments, and served as the disability access liaison for the community.
He has significant experience working with architects, developers and contractors, helping them understand disability access regulations and the rationale behind them. He not only enforces the regulations for new construction projects but also solves access problems with pre-existing buildings. His extensive background delivering solutions to problematic accessibility issues uniquely qualifies him to do this for you.
Working within a municipal government environment has also afforded him the opportunity to serve the community. His overwhelmingly positive and proactive approach to promote ADA compliance has benefited numerous people and entities. In many ways, he is the ultimate ADA compliance consultant.
Finally, because Phil Kaplan has been a wheelchair user since 1970, the result of a spinal cord injury from an auto accident, he has both personal and professional knowledge of the field. As an ADA compliance consultant, he makes a difference by eliminating the barriers facing people with disabilities. It is his desire to assist you in doing the same.
Additional accomplishments include:
- 2008: Co-teaching a two-day offering of classes on accessibility through CA. Building Officials (CALBO) Training, Ontario, CA.
- 2007: Leading a group presentation on the Fair Housing Amendments Act pertaining to disabled access in housing at the Riverside County Housing Conference in Palm Springs, CA.
- 2005 to present: Certification by the International Code Council as an Accessibility Inspector and Plans Examiner (Cert. #5104499-21).
- Providing ADA consultation services for various projects in the Coachella Valley.
- Authoring the amendment to the California Building Code to include the words NO PARKING in the access aisle for all disabled parking spaces.
- Delivering speeches on the ADA to various organizations and service clubs.
- Serving on the Board of Directors for the Mizell Senior Center, Palm Springs
- Disabled Student Services Coordinator at San Jose State University 1989 1991.
- Director of Disabled Student Services at UC Santa Cruz 1980 1984.
- Director of Disabled Student Services at UCLA 1976 1980.
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from UCLA 1975.
NOTE: While Phil Kaplan works with both architects and attorneys to complement their professions, and is an expert in his field, he is an expediter, facilitator and adviser only. As such, he does not have the final word on legal/compliance issues.